- CONGRATULATIONS to YMCA Member Serena Sammarone! Serena was named Player of the Game for her play in the Canfield Cardinals’ 44-40 come-from-behind win over South Range! She led all scorers with a game-high 21 points. Way to go Serena!!
- CONGRATULATIONS to the following YMCA Members that were honored at the 2017 ‘25 Under 35’ Awards Dinner at the Stambaugh Auditorium on February 9th: Thomas Hull II–Manchester, Newman & Bennett, LPA; Nick Sebastiano—Sebastiano, LTD; Sara Wenger—Eastgate Regional Council of Governments; and former YMCA Youth Director, Joselyn Parker—Director of Education & Youth Services for the Columbus Urban League. Congrats to all the young professionals who were honored that night!
- CONGRATULATIONS to the following students moving up to Yellow Belt in Tae Kwon Do: Ahleeah Abdullah, Sultan Abdullah, and Alivia Staffrey! We are so proud of you. Keep up the good work!
- Central YMCA member Socrates Kolitsos
- Board of Trustee member Howdy B. Friend‘s son-in-law, Craig Sheetz
- Tom Lamb’s Family
- Central YMCA HFD member Thaddeus “Ted” Dudzik
- YMCA Board of Trustee Member Warren Harrell
- Central YMCA member Tom “Noodle” Lawrence
- Central YMCA member Iva (“Mickey”) Harrell
- Central YMCA member Ron Price
- Central YMCA HFD member Jim Pace
- Central YMCA HFD member Irving Caraway
- Long-time Central YMCA member Helen Povtak
- YMCA Board of Trustee Member Emeritus William Brennan
- Spiritual Emphasis Committee’s Frank Yeager
- Mary A. Vass will be sadly missed by her grandchildren (Central YMCA members). Mary leaves two sons, John R. Vass and Ronald R. (Teresa) Vass; one daughter, Mary Ann (Albert) Schmalzried; a sister, Theresa Pitlik; 10 grandchildren; and 14 great-grandchildren; also a special daughter-in-law, Ann L. Vass. Our deepest sympathy to Mary’s family.
- Central YMCA member Patti (Len) Hall are mourning the loss of her sister, Debra L. Webster Duzzny. Debra leaves to cherish her memory, her mother, Sharlene Easterday; two other sisters, Elaine (Richard) Kish and Rita (Melissa) Smith; six brothers, Daniel (Sherry) Webster, Mike Easterday, Tom Easterday, Kenny (Julie) Easterday, David Gifford, and Jason Gifford; two stepdaughters, Nancy (Jim) Fehrenbaugh and Beth Duzzny; many nieces and nephews; and many friends. Debra will be truly missed by all who knew and loved her. Our sincerest sympathy to her family and friends.
- Davis Family YMCA member, William A. Soccorsy will always be remembered by his son, William H. Soccorsy; grandson, William A. Soccorsy; and longtime companion, Marianne Frydrych; his sister, MaryLou Soccorsy; and brother, Anthony J. Soccorsy. Our deepest sympathy to William’s family.
- Central YMCA member Shawnte’l ‘Shawn’ Maurice Patton will be sadly missed by mother, Adella (Tru) Dixon; his loving and devoted wife, Antionette ‘Annie’ Patton; a daughter, Melanee Patton; three sons, MelQuan and Dominic Patton, and Dorian Moton; two stepdaughters, Paige and Nomiki Willis; sister Sherilyn Land; half siblings; three grandsons; grandmother; two sisters-in-law; devoted aunts; special aunt, Crystal Hill-Green; uncle; cousins; special cousins, Jamiel Hill and Nikk Jones; godmother Yolanda Charles; and other relatives and friends. Our sincerest sympathy to Shawn’s wife, family, and friends.
- Central YMCA Spinning Instructor Michael (Lori) Pesa is mourning the loss of his father, Felix A. Pesa, M.D. Dr. Pesa’s death is an indescribable loss to his beloved, Cathy, with whom he created a lifetime of cherished memories. Also surviving are sons Arthur, Felix, David (Ivy), and Thomas (Ann Marie). Dr. Pesa will be forever missed by nine grandchildren, nieces, great-nieces and nephews. Our deepest sympathy to Michael, Cathy, and Dr. Pesa’s entire family.
- Central’s Noon Aquarobics class is mourning the loss of longtime member Joseph J. Shiller. Joseph is survived by two sons, Lawrence (LeeAnn) Shiller and Dr. Paul Shiller; a sister, Esther (Neil) Crichton; and three grandchildren, Aidan, Elizabeth and Daniel. Our sincerest sympathy to Joseph’s family and Y family.
- Central YMCA member, Joan M. Stevenson, will be sadly missed by her sons, James W. (Sue) Stevenson and Richard J. (Jean) Stevenson; daughters Rev. Carolyn Stevenson (Cyndi Morse) and June (Mark) Waldbauer; grandchildren Melanie (Matt) Stevenson Tindell, Valerie (Matt) Waldbauer Durak, Timothy Waldbauer; sisters Beverly Blewitt and Phyllis Richardson. Joan was preceded in death by her husband of 65 years, James. Our sincerest sympathy to Joan’s family.
- Edward R. Strauss will be sadly missed by his brother, YMCA members Tom (Mary Bell) Strauss; his wife, the former Mary Ann Sabol; four children, Kathy (Dan) Dowler, Sue (Elio) Andreatta, Eric (Nicole) Strauss, and Michele (Scott) Shaffer; and six grandchildren, Sara Dowler, Macy and Edie Shaffer, Lia and Rina Andreatta, and Jack Strauss. Our sincerest sympathy to Tom and his family.
- YMCA members are mourning the loss of their father Mario B. Pecchia. Mario is survived by his wife of 39 years, Margaret (Ulery) Pecchia; his father, Mario C. Pecchia; his children, Mario M. and Shannon (Deagan) Pecchia, Marco and Cara (Jamison) Pecchia, Mara and Doug Duncan, Marissa and Marcus Hernandez; his grandchildren, Mario T. Pecchia, Marco Matthew Pecchia, Sean Pecchia, Sophia Pecchia, Stella Hernandez, Scarlet Hernandez and Luca Pecchia; his siblings, Valerie Musolino (Tony), Mark Pecchia (Karen), Michael Pecchia (Karen), Matthew Pecchia (Susan), Monica Gessler (David) and Vince Pecchia (Debbie); as well as many, many aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, and cousins. Our deepest sympathy to Mario’s family.
- Central YMCA member, Joseph Ignazio, is mourning the loss of his uncle, Stan (Selone) Zitello. Stan’s children were blessed to have him for 101 years and he will be sadly missed by Stan (Mary) Zitello, JoAnn (Jack) Krivonak, Patricia (Ron Bolicek) Hripko, Frank Zitello, Dennis Zitello, and Peggy Ann (Ronnie) Birchfield; his 16 grandchildren; 23 great-grandchildren; and 2 great-great-grandchildren; and his sister, Gloria “Mitzi” (Robert) Jakubek. Our sincerest sympathy to Stan’s entire family.
- YMCA HFD Members that helped/donated to make the HFD exercise room a better place–we THANK YOU: Marty Altman, Bruce Beard, Don Begezda, Chester Bolendar, Joe Cassese, Johnny Cassiano, J.P. Daliman, Greg Deniro, Ted Dudzik, Dix Fisher, Gene Gage, Dan Garver, Jody Guarnieri, Mark Heschmeyer, Leo Jay, Chris Knight, Alan Kretzer, Andy Kuchmaner, Thom Lodge, Stan Markovitz, Tim Marucci, Nick Mathews, Chuck McCray, Jim Mocker, Joe Mozzy, Tom Mumaw, Larry Olson, Tom Onesti, Ted Roberts, Jeff Saluga, Dave Sefcik, Thom Skovira, Danny Thomas, Johnny Vitullo, and Bud Walker.
Have member news to share?
Patty Tchoryk at email@example.com